Monday, January 07, 2008

Northern Cyprus Real Estate Secrets

By William Marind

Be absolutely sure that the land you are buying is in fact the land that you are being shown. Ask for a copy of the title deed and check the sheet/plan/plot references and the site plan of the site. Look at the site plan and ascertain from its boundaries its shape and sitting. The location of nearby roads and buildings, major differences in the topography of the ground, rivers and streams are clearly shown on Lands' Office plans. If you cannot study the site plan seek the advice of your property surveyor.

Furthermore, it is not sufficient to merely check the zone of the property under consideration but one should also check the zone of the neighbourhood in general. This is so, since your plot may be within an agricultural area but a few feet away there may be another zone, say industrial or animal farming, which will create nuisance to your property.If an area is not subject to zoning, it is best to consult an expert or even pay a visit to the Planning Office and consult, unofficially, the officers on their views on the possible planning use of the area under consideration.

Usually, the ancient monument area is marked as AM on the Lands' and Surveys' plans but the non inclusion of the letters AM. does not guarantee that the plot is free from this kind of restrictions. If, therefore, you see on inspection ancient monuments close to the land you intend to buy or if you see your prospective acquisition being marked with AM. or that land close to it is so marked, then check the whole matter with the Antiquities Department.

As a general rule, electricity can be brought to any place in Cyprus provided one is prepared to pay for it. Be careful, however, with the general belief that if there is an electricity line close to the property the cost of providing electricity will not be much. This is not true at all and it is best to examine the approximate electricity provision cost with the EAC District Officer.Telephone lines are a problem for out of built-up areas. If one is needed at your "spot", examine this possibility with the CYTA District Officer.

If your property does not possess an access, the property can acquire a right of way over adjoining property in order to reach a point of public access. The procedure is undertaken by the Lands' Office on application and the right to obtain an access is reserved even if the owners of the property over which the access will pass object to it. Please note that if the right of access is in excess of 1,000 feet (distance from a public road to the property) then a permit to erect a house will, most likely, be refused.

About the Author:


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<<==Back to Financial Maturity Blog Home==>